Saturday, May 8, 2010

protein pre-funk


I went shopping today at Super Supplements, and by my enthusiasm, you'd think I was at Nordstrom with the $5000 Visa gift card from What Not to Wear in my pocket, but no...supplements really just make me that giddy these days.

I scored some MRM protein for 50% off, Amazing Grass Chocolate Superfood and a bottle of Glucomannan/Konjac root.  I haven't had the chocolate superfood before, but I read about it yesterday at Ohh May.  It immediately caught my attention because I've been feeling like a loser all week since Kelly posted about her green shake.  My fridge is just about never bursting with fresh greens like hers, so the chocolate superfood is my shortcut.  Do other sisters have a rivalry around who can make the greenest shake?  We like the healthy competition around here. :)

The konjac root is also a new supplement for me, so I'll update later with what I think of it.  It's essentially a pill that you take with a big glass of water that combines to create gel in your stomach and make you feel full (I presume, because you are...with konjac root gel, but I'm no scientist.).

And finally to get to this post's namesake, the protein pre-funk.  I'm going out drinking tonight, and since I ate a big and late lunch (chicken breast, roasted asparagus, apple), I wanted something in my stomach but nothing heavy--protein shake it is.

 
Of course I was pumped to try to my new supplement goodies, so here's what I blended:

scoop MRM protein (only 85 cals!)
scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Superfood
3T chia gel
tsp maca powder
tsp cocoa
5 drops vanilla stevia
1 1/4c unsweetened vanilla almond milk
ice

I'll let ya'll know if my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.  ;-)

4 comments:

  1. I gotta get a blender and some supplements before the weekend is over.

    Have fun tonight and enjoy some Kalimotxos if you get the chance.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear how you like everything and if, you know, if the milkshake did it's thing....lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW- Bourdain drank Kalimotxos in Chile! Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eric, if I can't convince you to add protein shakes to your routine, I don't think we can be friends. :P

    And update: my milkshake did not bring all the boys to the yard, but I ended up not even leaving the couch, and I didn't put a sign in the yard, so...FAIL. Smoothie was delish though and held me over for the night! And I did indulge in one glass of wine, sans coke.

    Kelly, Bourdain drinking kalimotxos sounds vaguely familiar! Have you tried it yet? It kind of weirds me out unless I think of it like a sangria. Low calorie though, so I'm going to keep trying. :)

    ReplyDelete