Friday, May 21, 2010

"almost" chilaquiles


Like most Texas exes, I miss Mexican food the most (ok, and I think about this Bosnian restuaurant a lot too, but I don't know where to begin to cook Bosnian food).  While browsing Homesick Texan has always been inspiring, cooking for one, typically without sugar and carbohydrates or much fat, is basically a Mexican Food Buzz Kill.  That is, until I realized I could make "almost" chilaquiles.

Because the thing is, when I think about Mexican food, it's not really so much about the chips, tortillas, sopes, tostadas...those are each just a Hot Sauce (that's salsa for you non-Texans) Delivery Device (HSDD), like cupcakes for frosting.  My "almost" chilaquiles fit the HSDD requirement quite nicely. Chilaquiles are a kitchen sink kind of dish—start with a base of softened leftover corn tortillas and throw just about anything on top; shredded chicken, beans and eggs are common culprits.

My spin?  A base of chicken breast cooked and shredded in the crockpot with pico de gallo (hot sauce #uno), topped with salsa verde (#dos), jalapeños, an over-easy egg + 1 egg white, a dousing of tapatìo (hot sauce #tres) and crumbled queso fresco. HSDD Mexican food heaven on a plate. Olè!

1 comment: