Wednesday, May 19, 2010

cauliflower works double time

The red wine soaked evenings I've succumbed to lately (I've managed to squeeze some daylight hours in, as well) have led to a handful of things, namely...
  • excessive movie rentals
  • phone usage only my unlimited minute plan could be proud of
  • sharing my bed with a larger-than-life pile of (clean) laundry
  • making plates of food and not remembering, days later when I want to write about it, exactly what it was or how I made it
...sorry.

But you forgive me, right? Because I was drinking and anything you do or say when you're drinking doesn't count?  Great, thank you.  Won't happen again.  :P

Then again, maybe it should, because a buzzed girl with a limited kitchen is forced to get creative with mealtime.

Take the above, for instance.  I threw a pile of veggies into some ground turkey breast for what essentially turned out to be a "veggie burger with turkey," and despite its rough appearance, a delicious one at that.  If I remember right, sundried tomatoes, crimini mushrooms, roasted red pepper, shallot and fresh baby spinach were involved. A head of cauliflower was harmed in the making of that mash. The creaminess!  Can you see it?  Here's a scary close-up:


I boiled a chopped head of cauliflower and some whole garlic cloves in chicken broth until tender, drained, then pulsed in a blender with a couple spoonfuls of 0% Fage greek yogurt, 5T nooch (nutritional yeast) and salt and pepper until it reached a state of cheesy-without-cheese whipped oblivion.

Next wine'd out day, I wanted something different, so I blended the mash with a smidge of guar gum and generous helping of tahini sauce and cooked into pancakes.


Admittedly, the idea was better than the execution because they just *barely* stuck together (no, I didn't want to use flour), but the flavor made up for it and they made a nice foundation for a generous plate of fresh spinach sauteed with ground turkey breast, sundried tomatoes, fresh tomato, roasted red pepper, criminis, onion, garlic, shallot, a dusting of parmesan...etc (can you tell what my staples are, yet?).


There you have it....texsea drunk food!

No comments:

Post a Comment