Monday, May 10, 2010

chocolate fixes

photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kirisryche/ / CC BY-NC-SA 2.0

It's one of those days where one serving of chocolate is not enough--I need a boatload.  I'm becoming pretty skilled at listening to what my body needs, and the story's no different when it's asking for chocolate and lots of it!  Here's how I matched the chocolate monster today:

3 squares of Simply Lite Dark Chocolate from Trader Joe's.  When I bought it in a chocolate-crazed frenzy today, I didn't realize it had sugar alcohols.  I normally buy Endangered Species Extreme Dark 88% bars at Whole Foods, so I was a bit at a loss confronted with all the Trader Joe-branded bars. That said, this chocolate is pretty good.  I enjoy dark chocolate the most and this bar is only 50%, but it was a nice change of pace to have something sweet and creamy. I'd buy it again.

0% Plain Fage Greek Yogurt with Vanilla Stevia and Cocoa Powder.  This is one of my classics.  The tang of the yogurt with the bitterness of the unsweetened cocoa is just divine to me.  I barely sweeten it with stevia and use a heaping tablespoon of cocoa.  A full bowl of chocolate, cheesecake-tasting goodness for 100 calories and maybe 1g of fat...plus lots of protein. Can't beat it.  This is equally good with ricotta.

Chocolate Yerba Mate Tea. This can be a little hard to find, but my favorite is Guayaki Mate Chocolatte.  I've only been able to find it in the natural foods section at Fred Meyer in Seattle, but I think Kelly found it at several stores in Houston.  I've also tried the more expensive (as in, $15 for a tin of tea!) Republic of Tea Double Dark Chocolate Mate, and it's just not my favorite. It's not naturally sweet and lacks a robust flavor.  Add a teaspoon of cocoa to an ordinary tea, and that's about what this tastes like. I can't bear to throw it out, so I've been drinking it sweetened with xylitol and So Delicious Coconut Creamer, and it's not so bad. Don't waste your money; however, Republic of Tea's Yerba Mate Latte is incredibly delicious, just not chocolate. :)

And yes, I indulged in all three of these things today!  Bye, bye craving.  Any chocolate fixes out there I can put in my arsenal for next time?

No comments:

Post a Comment