Thursday, May 6, 2010

Froberg Vegetable and Fruit Farm



I have been on the lookout for fresh fruits and veggies and when I heard about Froberg Vegetable and Fruit Farm in Alvin, TX, I thought it would be a fun road trip. The store is open 7 days a week and so mom and I decided to check it out early Sunday morning. I wasn't sure what to expect and was surprised to find more of an open air grocery store as opposed to the more traditional farmer's market. Not everything was grown locally on the farm, but I did stock up on homegrown strawberries (you can even pick your own), cabbage, squash and as you can see from the picture- KALE! At 80 cents a pop I loaded up with 2 gigantic bunches. Needless to say, I have been eating plenty of leafy greens this week!


I have recently been introduced to kale (how did I not know about this veggie before??) and have had a great time trying out new recipes. I first decided to try this superfood after reading about Kale Chips from RunnersKitchen. I then stumbled across the concept of "massaged kale" (thanks again Megan) and love to have a batch of Massaged Kale Salad prepared in my fridge. This week, I have been experimenting with sauteing and have fallen in love with kale sauted with shallots, olive oil, tamari, lots of crushed red pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon. What is your favorite kale recipe?

2 comments:

  1. OH My is that Kale? It sure is a lot! Looks yummy tho

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!!!!! That kale was so big!!!! 2 bunches filled up 1 brown paper sack and then my fridge! I couln't have kept any more...lol!

    ReplyDelete