Friday, June 4, 2010

side dish or dinner? braised radishes


I've never really thought much about radishes, but since I've owned a mandoline this last year, I've enjoyed paper-thin slices as a portable work snack. Almost as good as a peppery Kettle chip. I've always wanted to get trendy and eat radish slices with a good-quality butter finished with a sprinkling of fancy salt, but I typically don't believe in wasting fat on vegetables. I'll take pizza if I'm going to splurge, thanks.

And yes, it's June, but the weather remains depressingly rainy and chilly in Seattle.  While it seems like the rest of the country's feasting on fruit and cool, crunchy salads, I'm craving something hearty and warm.  I'm finally a little bored of the plain chicken I've been eating for what feels like forever (hence lack of content to post), so I stopped by the Queen Anne Farmers Market yesterday for some inspiration.

The pictured French breakfast radishes made it home with me.  A quick online search led me to this recipe for braised radishes at the Kitchn.  A lone shallot was the only other produce I had on hand, thus dinner was born.

I skipped the butter and salt pork in lieu of a scant teaspoon of olive oil, and I subbed my favorite low-sodium chicken broth from Trader Joe's for the water. No doubt the fats would make this a richer dish, but the substitutions fared well because I ate the whole thing for dinner tonight and may or may not have licked the bowl clean.

Must. Have. More. If you see a crazy lady snatching up all the radishes that can be bought at tomorrow's Georgetown Market, please say hi.

No comments:

Post a Comment