Friday, June 11, 2010

apple radish slaw


To say I love this slaw is a disservice to the universe.  It's so delicious and perfect that I want to eat it every day (and I have been).  It's smart in that it's portable, gets better with age and is comprised of a whopping 5 ingredients–something I can stay on board with.

Ya'll might be tired of hearing about radishes, but this is my life!  Yes, radishes.  (At least until they disappear from the markets.)  At Georgetown's last weekend, I was meandering through the aisles doing my Expedia-esque price comparisons, when I stumbled upon the jackpot: tri-colored bunches of radishes that required practically two hands to hold as the radishes were erring on the size of small apples.  For a dollar.  Each. (I'm talkin' $1 per bunch, not radish.)  Naturally, I bought as many that would fit in my envirosax (three) and smugly smiled all the way back to Queen Anne.

Matchstick'd along with my long-time love, Pink Lady apples, green onion, a squeeze of an oversized lemon and a generous dousing of French oak barrel-aged apple cider vinegar, it's one of the best simple salads I've ever eaten.

It hardly requires a recipe, but for ballparking:
2 Pink Lady apples (You might prefer to peel the apple first, but I like the color so I leave it.)
3-4 XL radishes
3-4 green onions
1/2 large lemon
2-3 T barrel-aged apple cider vinegar

Using a mandoline, cut the apples and radishes into matchsticks. Squeeze the lemon half over to discourage browning. Add chopped green onion and vinegar. Stir to combine and chill before serving. Even better the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment