Wednesday, July 21, 2010

probiotic drinks worthless? and a solution.

I went to a naturopath for the first time yesterday and had braced myself to be told to take probiotics in the form of the popular drinks that crowd the shelves of stores like Whole Foods. When the topic of probiotics came up, I cringed and asked, "You mean drinks like Kombucha?"  I squirmed with my head down, inching towards the edge of the chair.  Nightmares of chugging what's to me, a completely unpalatable flavor with an even more distasteful pricetag raced through my mind.

To my surprise and utter delight, she scoffed and said not to ever bother with those, and not because I don't need to take probiotics, but because the amount in drinks such as kombucha is so incredibly minimal, that they are essentially useless.  As for the cost?  You can get - maybe 8 million?  or something insane - times the amount of probiotics, which also happens to be the amount actually necessary to make a difference in your body, for a fraction of the cost of bottled "vinegar water."

I went home with  Pharmax HLC High Potency capsules. The suggested use is 1-2 per day, but she instructed I only take one, so the bottle will last me about 4 months -- a steal in price and quality. Kombuch-what?

2 comments:

  1. Lol. Kombuch-what indeed! Probiotic supplements are a Godsend. Shame that the yoghurt drinks/probiotic teas/chocolates and stuff have to ruin their name. I take one from the UK - www.optibacprobiotics.co.uk - once you take them in a capsule, you'll never look back ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, but I love Kombucha!!! 2 bottles in my fridge right now. Let me know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete